Comprehensive tobacco control guidance
A high-level statement of support by local authorities which demonstrates commitment to comprehensive tobacco control.
Annual local tobacco control reports
Annual surveys of the state of funding for, and provision of, tobacco control measures and smoking cessation support by local authorities in England, commissioned by Cancer Research UK. The reports set out the results from surveys of tobacco control leads from the 152 local authorities in England with responsibility for public health.
The reports have been conducted since 2015, monitoring tobacco control and smoking cessation provision since the transfer of public health responsibility from the NHS to local authorities in 2013, under the Health and Social Care Act 2012.
- 2021 — Reaching Out: Tobacco control and stop smoking services in local authorities in England, 2021
- 2020 — Stepping Up: The response of stop smoking services in England to the COVID-19 pandemic
- 2019 — Many Ways Forward: Stop smoking services and tobacco control work in English local authorities
- 2018 — A Changing Landscape: Stop smoking services and tobacco control in England
- 2017 — Feeling The Heat: The decline of stop smoking services in England
- 2016 — Cutting Down: The reality of budget cuts to local tobacco control
- 2015 — Reading Between the Lines: Results of a survey of tobacco control leads in local authorities in England
- 2014 — Taking a Reading: The impact of public health transition on tobacco control and smoking cessation services in England
Practical guide to the top ten actions local authorities can take to drive down smoking rates and reduce inequalities in their communities.
Sets out the overarching strategy local authorities should take to reduce smoking rates and achieve the 2030 ambition.
Guidance on how to set up and run a successful alliance developed by ASH in partnership with Fresh.
OHID: CLeaR assessment tool
Guidance for local authorities, public health bodies and the NHS on using ‘deep dive’ self-assessment tools to improve their tobacco control programmes
OHID: Alcohol and drug
Information and other resources to support commissioners, service providers and others providing alcohol and drug interventions.