Article 5.3 toolkit
This page sets out a toolkit developed by ASH and iPiP to support public health bodies to implement Article 5.3 of the World Health Organisation Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC). The WHO FCTC is the world’s first global health treaty. It is designed to help countries work to eliminate the harm caused by tobacco.
Article 5.3 is a key element of the treaty. It is intended to protect public health policy from the influence of the tobacco industry. It reads: “In setting and implementing their public health policies with respect to tobacco control, Parties shall act to protect these policies from commercial and other vested interests of the tobacco industry in accordance with national law.”
Updated guidance for government engagement with the tobacco industry
The Department for Health and Social Care have published updated guidance for government engagement with the tobacco industry in line with the requirements of article 5.3. This guidance should be read and followed by all UK government officials who interact with either the tobacco industry or people who have affiliations with the tobacco industry.
Begin with the Article 5.3 Process Map.
This sets out a road map of actions local authorities should take to ensure that local policy is adequately protected from the vested interests of the tobacco industry.
The process map also explains the various documents available to download below.
- Document 2: Making the case presentation
- Document 3: Why do we treat the tobacco industry differently?
- Document 4: The WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control
- Document 5: Template mapping report
- Document 6: Audit process presentation
- Document 7: Template communications log
- Document 8: Template employee code
- Document 9: Template council statement
- Document 10: Local Government Declaration on Tobacco Control
- Document 11: Guidance for trading standards on tobacco industry engagement
In November 2017 ASH and the Tobacco Control Collaborating Centre hosted a webinar on the implementation of Article 5.3 in local authorities.
- Overview of Article 5.3 and local authority resources
Hilary Wareing – Director of Tobacco Control Collaborating Centre
- Case study: The Article 5.3 auditing process
Debbie Smith – Public Health Specialist, Kent County Council
- Article 5.3 and its implications for Trading Standards
Catherine Taylor – Regulation Manager, Fresh North East
- Article 5.3 and Local Authority pension funds
Ian Willmore – Special Projects Advisor, ASH
- Panel discussion including Q&A