ASH Daily news for 24 June 2015
June 24, 2015
- South Derbyshire: Number of women smoking at birth above national rate
- Glasgow: Fatal fire linked to cigarette
- Australia: Jetstar plane makes an emergency landing due to passenger ‘smoking in the toilets’
- New York: Liquid nicotine producers fined for not child-proofing packages
- Experts warning over smoking sheesha inside Ramadan tents
- Philip Morris working with scientists on electronic cigarettes
South Derbyshire: Number of women smoking at birth above national rate
New statistics have revealed that the number of women in South Derbyshire still smoking up to the time of giving birth is much higher than the national average.
According to figures from the Health and Social Care Information Centre 14.4 per cent of pregnant women in South Derbyshire smoke up to delivery, which is 3 per centage points higher than the national average – currently at 11.4 per cent.
A spokesman for Derbyshire County Council said the authority is working hard to prevent expectant mothers from smoking.Source: Burton Mail, 24th June 2015
Glasgow: Fatal fire linked to cigarette
A man has died in a house fire thought to have been caused by a cigarette setting a bed alight.
The man was rescued from his room by firefighters and then given treatment for severe burns and smoke inhalation, but later on died at South Glasgow University Hospital.
Although a cigarette is thought to have initiated the fire, specialist officers from the fire investigation unit are working to establish the full circumstancesSource: Evening Express, 23rd June 2015
Australia: Jetstar plane makes an emergency landing due to passenger ‘smoking in the toilets’
A passenger smoking in the toilets of a Jetstar plane is understood to be the cause for the flight being forced to make an emergency landing.
Crew reported a smell in the cabin of the JQ413 flight from the Gold Coast en route to Sydney, forcing the captain to land the plane at Newcastle Airport.
Due to this incident, the 190 passengers continued their journey by buses and travelled a further two hours to reach their destination.Source: Daily Mail, 23rd June 2015
New York: Liquid nicotine producers fined for not child-proofing packages
Four makers of liquid nicotine used in electronic cigarettes have been fined $95,000 in total over packaging that was too easy for children to open. According to the state’s top prosecutor, their products were a violation of a law enacted last year after a toddler died from consuming the substance.
A settlement was announced which requires the four companies to remove from New York stores all liquid nicotine with packaging that is not child-resistant as well as show proof of testing packaging for poison protection.Source: Reuters, 23rd June 2015
Experts warning over smoking sheesha inside Ramadan tents
An expert has warned that smoking shisha inside Ramadan tents could potentially be up to 200 times more harmful than smoking a cigarette outside.
According to Dr Ejlal Al Alawi, the head of the Health Directorate Disease Control Department’s Anti-Smoking and Tobacco group, a one-hour sheesha session can be equal to smoking 100 to 200 cigarettes – with the effects exacerbated by smoking water pipes inside.
Dr Alawi affirmed that during the month of Ramadan people engage in smoking sheesha “as a habit” but “the painful truth is that these tents cause a major health problem for smokers and also to non-smokers, who are sitting inside and exposed to the smoke.”Source: Middle East Association, 23rd June 2015
Philip Morris working with scientists on electronic cigarettes
Reuters reports that scientists from Switzerland are working with the tobacco firm, Philip Morris International, to research electronic cigarettes.Source: Reuters, 23rd June 2015