ASH Daily news for 11 April 2016
April 11, 2016
- Havering: Doctors’ plea after key Stop Smoking Service axed
- Bedford: Hospital sparks anger by erecting two new smoking shelters
- Carlisle: Residents’ anger over hospital smokers’ cigarette littering
- Belfast: Health chiefs struggle to stop people flouting ban
- South Korea: Cigarette warning labels spark industry questions about fairness
- South Korea: Foreign cigarette firms sue gov’t over military post exchange ruling
Havering: Doctors’ plea after key Stop Smoking Service axed
Health chiefs have pleaded for a decision to cut a vital service which helps hundreds of people give up smoking each year to be reversed.
The withdrawal of the Stop Smoking Service is predicted to significantly increase tobacco-related hospital admissions in Havering.
Doctors have estimated that 1,500 smokers will not receive the support they need to quit each year, leading to 500 avoidable hospital admissions.
At a meeting of the board of Barking Havering and Redbridge NHS Hospital Trust, which runs Queen’s Hospital, Romford, and King George Hospital, Goodmayes, members said Havering Council had not consulted it about the closure of the service, which ended last Friday.Source: Romford Record – 08 April 2016
Bedford: Hospital sparks anger by erecting two new smoking shelters
Hospital staff and politicans have criticised a decision to erect smoking shelters at Bedford Hospital.
In October, Bedford Hospital submitted an application for the shelters to Bedford Borough Council, claiming it was to combat ‘hidden smoking’ which left parts of the site in an ‘appalling state’.
The scheme, costing £7,732.90 plus VAT on what until now was a non-smoking site, was granted permission in January and work is now underway.
Richard Fuller, MP for Bedford and Kempston, said: “It seems to me the hospital is taking a bit of a half-hearted position on this,” he said. “If they have a strong stance against smoking they need to make it clear that it will not be accepted on this site.”
Amanda Sandford, from ASH, said: “We urge the hospital to rethink this policy and provide support to staff, visitors and patients to help them stop smoking.”
A hospital spokesman said the decision was made due to the cost of clearing smoking related litter, which would be offset by the money for the shelters.Source: Bedfordshire on Sunday: 09 April 2016
Carlisle: Residents’ anger over hospital smokers’ cigarette littering
Residents are fuming over hospital smokers littering their lane with cigarette butts.
Hospital patients, visitors and staff have lit up in the lane between Clift Street and the hospital since a ban on smoking both inside and outside the hospital came into force.
Residents and councillors have raised the issue over the years and although it has improved at times, the situation has never been resolved.Source: Cumberland News – 09 April 2016
Belfast: Health chiefs struggle to stop people flouting ban
Almost a month after a complete ban on smoking in hospital grounds came into force, health officials admit they are struggling to stub out the practice.
In March the Belfast Health Trust announced a total ban on smoking on any part of its property.
Smoking huts were dismantled and signs put around its sites warning staff, patients and visitors in time for No Smoking Day on March 9.Source: Belfast Telegraph – 09 April 2016
South Korea: Cigarette warning labels spark industry questions about fairness
The tobacco industry is raising questions about fairness as new graphic warning labels have to be affixed on cigarette packs by year-end.
Industry officials are claiming that it is unfair to force such graphic labels on cigarettes but not onto other harmful products such as alcohol.
On March 31, the Ministry of Health and Welfare released 10 images for use on cigarette packs. The graphic images feature various harmful effects of smoking such as diseased lungs, mouth cancer and birth defects.
Under guidelines approved last year, the images will have to cover at least 30 percent of the front and back of cigarette packs.Source: Korea Herald – 11 April 2016
South Korea: Foreign cigarette firms sue gov’t over military post exchange ruling
British American Tobacco and Phillip Morris have filed suits against the government on April 1 and March 28, respectively, accusing the government of unfairly prioritizing Korea Tobacco and Ginseng in selecting which cigarettes will be sold at military post exchanges (PX – military retail service). The two companies also requested that the government nullify its selection.
The Ministry of National Defense Welfare Agency selects cigarette brands to be sold in PX every April through a competitive bidding process. In each selection, it weeds out about four to five brands from the existing 20 and selects new brands.
In the selection process, panels, consisting of military officers, petty officers and soldiers, evaluate the taste, design and price of different cigarettes. The 20 cigarette brands that are currently stored in the PX are all from KT&G.
Cigarettes are one of the most commonly purchased items in PX.Source: Korea Joongang Daily – 09 April 2016